The Lagos State Government earlier on Monday announced it has banned the commercial activities of motorcycles and and tricycles in some local government areas in the state.
Motorcycles and tricycles have also been banned from operating in major highways and bridges in the state.
Other than Eti Osa, Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland, Ikeja, Apapa and Surulere.
Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso said the action taken by the government is for the safety of the people of the state.
“The extant Transport Sector Reform Law 2018 bans the operation of Motorcycles (Okada) and Tricycles (Keke) in some local government areas and Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs).
“They include Apapa LGA and Apapa Iganmu LCDA, Lagos Mainland LG and Yaba LCDA, Surulere LGA, Itire-Ikate and Coker-Aguda LCDAs, Ikeja LGA, Onigbongbo and Ojodu LCDAs, Eti-Osa LGA, Ikoyi-Obalende and Iru/Victoria Island LCDAs, then Lagos Island LGA and Lagos Island East LCDA.
This is the first stage of the state government’s plan to sanitise our roads and protect Lagosians from the negative effects of these illegal modes of transportation.
“The law is very clear. Motorcycles (okada) and tricycles (keke) are banned on all highways, bridges and listed roads.
“Major highways include Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Oworonshoki-Oshodi Expressway, Lagos-Ikorodu Expressway and Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway.
“The highways also include Eti-Osa/Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos-Badagry Expressway, Funsho Williams Avenue, Agege Motor Road and Eti-Osa Lekki Coastal Road,” he said.
He warned residents and commercial riders to respect the new rules as there will be severe punishments for whoever defies the new orders.
The Major Highways and Bridges where commercial activities of Okada and Keke have been banned starting from the 1st of February are;
1. Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
2. Apapa-Oshodi Expressway
3. Oworonshoki-Oshodi Expressway
4. Lagos-Ikorodu Expressway
5. Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway
6. Eti-Osa/Lekki-Epe Expressway
7. Lagos-Badagry Expressway
8. Funsho Williams Avenue
9. Agege Motor Road
10. Eti-Osa Lekki Coastal Road
1. Iyana- Ipaja Bridge Agege
2. Dopemu Bridge Agege
3. Airport/Ikeja Bridge
4. Agege Motor road/oshodi Loop, Oshodi
5. Mushin/Isolo Link Bridge
6. Dorman Long Bridge
7. Ojuelegba Bridge
8. National Stadium Flyover
9. Apapa-Iganmu Bridge
10. Apapa-Ijora Link Bridge
11. Liverpool Bridge, Apapa
12. Mile 2 Bridge-Loop, Amuwo-Odofin
13. Okota (cele)/Ijesha Link Bridge
14. Apakun/Apapa-Oshodi Bridge Network
15. Ikorodu Road/Anthony Clover leaf Bridge
16. Trade Fair Flyover Bridge
17. Festac/Amuwo-Odofin Link Bridge
18. 2 Flyover Bridges along Alhaji Masha Road
19. Ojota Clover leaf Bridge
20. Ogudu Bridge
21. 3rd Mainland Bridge
22. Maryland flyover
23. Ikeja General Hospital Flyover Bridge
24. Kodesoh Bridge, Oba Akran, Ikeja
25. Opebi Link Bridge
26. Sheraton-Opebi Bridge
27. Jibowu/Yaba flyover Bridge
28. Carter Bridge, Lagos
29. Bariga-Ifako Bridge
30. Apapa-Oshodi Expressway/Alapere Bridge
31. Bariga/Oworonsoki Bridge
32. Apapa-Oshodi Expressway/Gbagada U-Turn
33. Apapa-Oshodi Expressway
34. 3rd Mainland/Oworonsoki Bridge
35. Eko Bridge
36. Apongbon flyover Bridge
37. Cowry Bridge (Officers Mess)
38. Mcwen Bridge (Bonny Camp)
39. Marina/Ikoyi Bridge
40. Ikoyi/Obalende Bridge