The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (retd.) says President Muhammadu Buhari, has again expressed his dissatisfaction over the worsening security situation in the country.
Briefing State House Correspondents on the outcome of the meeting of the National Security Council presided over by the President on Tuesday, he disclosed that Buhari is, therefore, planning an overhaul of the nation’s security architecture.
According to the NSA, Buhari reaffirmed his last marching orders to the nation’s security chiefs that they are not doing enough.
He said Buhari noted that Nigerians have lost confidence in the security sector and he is determined to restore that confidence.
“The president is angry over the declining security situation. At the last meeting, he mentioned it.
“What he said today is virtually a reaffirmation of what he said the first time. Yes Mr President said you are doing your best, as far as I’m concerned, but there’s still a lot more to be done.
“I’m more concerned about the promise we made to the larger Nigerian society and I am ordering an immediate re-engineering of the entire security apparatus.
“This is something that I believe will be done in a very short time, but I just want us to keep hope alive.
“I know how everybody feels, I know how Nigerians feel, definitely the president is not oblivious of the fact that securing the nation is a primary responsibility of government and I believe in his sincerity, but again, since he’s not an octopus, since he’s not a spirit, if he delegates to people, then the onus is on them to actually fulfil the legitimate expectations of the larger Nigerian society,” Monguno said.
Last week, the convoy of Borno State Governor, Babangana Zulum, was attacked by gunmen, reigniting calls for the resignation or sack of the service chiefs.