Popular columnist and journalist, Fredrick Nwabufo has been issued fresh death threats by the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB).
The death threats, which are not the first, is in connection with an interview Nwabufo granted to the AFP.
Nwabufo had been issued similar threats in the past, precisely in 2019 when he advised the pro-Igbo secessionist group to join hands with Miyetti Allah in tackling the nation’s insecurity.
The death threats were renewed after an interview Nwabufo granted to the AFP Fact Check on the 14th of August.
Nwabufo said in the interview that the movement’s supporters see Buhari as a blockade to the achievement of their secessionist ambitions and are seeking to delegitimise his administration.
“The (Biafran) leadership needs the controversy to stay alive — to remain relevant,” Nwabufo said in the AFP report.
“This appears not to have sat well with the group and Nnamd Kanu, its leader, who issued threats against AFP in a broadcast.
Nwabufo revealed he and his family members were issued death threats on Monday, across different channels, with most threats seen issued on Facebook.
‘’I woke up to calls from family in the south-east this morning. They told me IPOB was looking for me. They also expressed fear for their own safety,’’ he said.
“This is one threat too many. Members of IPOB had issued similar threats before. But this is more targeted — with my photo and an insidious message which has been circulated on social media by agents of the proscribed group.
“I have decided to take it not reclining. The security agents will be involved this time.”
Nwabufo had revealed he will file a petition with the DSS over the threat.
Recall that IPOB members attacked former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu in an event in Germany in 2019 and have been behind some violence in the South-Eastern part of the country.