Borno state Governor, Kashim Shettima has revealed that he will inaugurate a panel to investigate alleged illegal activities at the Maiduguri maximum security prison.
SaharaReporters had published an article on the various offences such as child prostitution, sodomy and forced abortion going on at the prison.
Shettima who announced this in a tweet, said the panel will be inaugurated on Monday and will be chaired by the State’s attorney general and commissioner of justice, Kaka Shehu Lawan.
Also, Hauwa Mai-MUSA, the permanent Secretary, Ministry of women Affairs and social development is to serve as Secretary.
According to the tweet, members of the Committee are:
1) Barr.K.S.Lawan,A.G& HC
2) Hauwa Mai-MUSA,P.S.Women Affairs Min;
3) Barr.Mohammed Umaru,Chairman,NBA,Maiduguri,
4) Barr.Amina Mustafa Ibrahim,Chairperson,Federation of International Women Lawyers,FIDA
5)Representative of the NPF;
6) Representative of the DSS;
7) Representative of the Comptroller,Nigeria Prisons Service,BORNO.
Jummai Usman Mshelia,State Coordinator, National Human Rights Commission.
The Permanent Secretary, ministry of women affairs will serve as Member/Secretary.
Insha’Allah, I will inaugurate the committee at 11am on Monday.