Others

Ceasefire! FG Tells Kaduna And Labour Union

Ceasefire! FG Tells Kaduna And Labour Union

Aledeh News reports that the Federal Government of Nigeria has waded into the ongoing disagreement between the
Government of Kaduna State, Northern Nigeria, and Labour.

The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) in the State, on Monday, embarked on a five-day warning strike and protests over the sack of over 7,000 government workers.

The State Government had cited a high wage bill among other issues as the reason for the disengagement.

On Tuesday, Governor Nasir El-Rufai declared the President of NLC, Ayuba Wabba, and other members of the union’s wanted.

El-Rufai accused them of economic sabotage, stating that the industrial action had affected key state infrastructure and services, including health and power.

On the Day 2 of the protest, Aledeh News reported that armed thugs disrupted the rally of the workers in the state.

Wabba, however, accused the state government of disrupting the peaceful protest with thugs and described this action as an ‘abuse of powers’.

However, the Labour Minister, Chris Ngige, in a statement signed by the Ministry’s Deputy Director of Press and Public Relations, has called both parties to “immediately ceasefire”.

In the statement, Ngige said, “We are not unaware of what is going on in Kaduna State…It is a labour issue which has snowballed into a national strike and picketing by the two labour centres and affiliate unions.

“We hope and also pray the Kaduna state Governor not to escalate matters to such a level where it becomes uncontrollable. We also appeal to the leaders of the labour centres to step down the action to make way for discussion.

“My Ministry is wading into the matter and therefore calls on the two warring parties to give peace a chance.”

The Minister also urged all essential workers, including doctors and nurses not to join the strike.

He said, “Importantly, I appeal to workers in critical sectors not to tamper with electrical or water installations so as not to bring more sufferings to the people of Kaduna and the nation at large.

“This is because we have it on good authority, following a complaint by the Minister of Power that workers have threatened to trigger a nationwide blackout by interfering or switching off the national grid.”

Earlier on Tuesday, the Kaduna state government had ordered the sack of all nurses under level 14 for participating in the industrial action.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: