Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday officially declared the end of the twelfth epidemic of the Ebola virus.
The announcement comes three months after a resurgence in the North Kivu province.
“On this Monday, May 3, 2021, I am pleased to solemnly declare the end of the twelfth epidemic of the Ebola virus disease in the province of North Kivu in the Democratic Republic of Congo,” said Health Minister, Jean-Jacques Mbungani.
Mbungani attributed the feat to vaccines from the American laboratory Merck Sharpe and Dohme.
He said a total of 12 cases had been recorded, with six deaths and hundreds of people vaccinated since the resurgence of the epidemic on February 7 in North Kivu.
The World Health Organization (WHO) had raised the epidemic to emergency status over fear that it could spread.
“I congratulate the govt, health workers, communities & all WHO staff who were involved in the response,” Director-General of WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
Despite the announcement, the DRC’s government has urged people to stay vigilant and maintain contact with surveillance teams who will continue to work with local health authorities in North Kivu.
Ebola is mainly transmitted through bodily fluids and can cause symptoms such as fever, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhea.
The biggest outbreak was between 2013 and 2016, which saw 11,0000 deaths in West Africa.