“What manner of a man would run the news every 30mins in Nigeria?”
This was the thinking of many then. The story of John Olatchy Momoh is one that inspires and one that must be told to generations to come. JM as fondly called by many is a talented and gifted sportsman. His active early childhood saw him playing football with great skills that many thought he would choose that path. But this fine son of a cook veered off to the kitchen. Certainly not your kind of kitchen but a broadcasting kitchen where he has been for almost four decades, giving Nigerians, Africans and the world some of the finest broadcasting ever witnessed in history.
Today, almost all television stations in Nigeria want to be like John Momoh! While they copy his originality, he continues to create more, leaving every copycat behind. This has earned him the name “Boss of all Bosses”!
At 63, Mr. Momoh, born in Lagos, but rooted in Etsako, Edo State has transformed journalism in Nigeria, repositioned it and brought so many younger broadcasters on board.
A winner in every ramification, his reputably stainless career has seen him scoop accolades and create the future in the present. While many thought the ideas he engendered were not perfect fits for a very volatile, and bullish environment like Nigeria’s, he proved doubters wrong and proved himself amid many Thomases. His life has been a victory, and his fruits are doing greatly in their endeavours.
Mr. Momoh, through his Channels Television has placed Nigeria and Africa on the world map, and has given many more a reason to reach for the stars.
Before founding Channels TV in 1995, John worked variously as News Anchor, Senior Reporter and Producer for Nigeria’s National Radio and Television Stations.
In 25 years, he has risen from being a star employee to creating a multi-million dollar media enterprise, employing over 400 staff, across Nigeria and Africa, and reaching the World, with the same business model that analysts predicted would not see the light of day.
A visionary businessman, his passion and tenacity are complemented by a willingness to invent, re-invent and lead from the front where it matters most.
His astounding commitment to excellence has seen him and his companies getting nominated and winning awards and recognitions over several decades. These include:
* The Nigerian Media Merit Award for the “News Anchor of the Year”.
* Nigerian Union of Journalists Award for “Newscaster of the Year.”
* The Constituency for Africa Award for Excellence in Broadcasting (Washington DC, USA).
* Planet Africa Award for “Entrepreneurship”, Canada.
* And the ‘African Achievers’ Award.
Mr. Momoh is an alumnus of the prestigious Harvard Business School and the Lagos Business School. His other impressive qualifications include; Master of International Law, University of Lagos, Nigeria, Bachelor of Mass Communication, University of Lagos, Nigeria, Diploma in Broadcast Journalism, Thomson Foundation Center for Journalism Studies in Cardiff, Wales, Owner/President Management Program at Harvard University, USA, Chief Executive Program at the Lagos Business School, Nigeria
He doubles as a fellow of the following institutions:
* Nigerian Leadership Initiative
* Nigerian Guild of Editors;
* Nigerian Institute of Journalism,
* Nigerian Institute of Information Management
* Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators of Nigeria
* Institute of Credit Administration
As the immediate past Chairman of the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria, BON the first private broadcaster to be so elected to lead the organisation, he repositioned the organisation despite the many challenges that came with it.
He is a recipient of many honors including;
* The “National Productivity Order of Merit” Award
* The National Honour of “Officer of the Order of the Niger” (OON).
* Lifetime Achievement Award, by the Nigerian Information Society.
* ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ by the Fate Foundation, Nigeria.
* Distinguished Alumni Award from the Lagos Business School.
* “ZIK Award for Entrepreneurship”
* “Entrepreneur of the Year Award”, by the Institute of Directors, Nigeria.
* “Entrepreneur of the Award” by Euro knowledge
Mr. Momoh is a member of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences based in New York. He serves as a JUROR for the annual International ‘Emmy Awards’ and the ‘AIB’ Awards UK, organised by The Association for International Broadcasting.
His television station Channels TV is the only Nigerian and indeed African Broadcaster to have won the “Television Station of the Year” Award, a record Thirteen times, seven of them consecutively.
Momoh has an undying passion for staff welfare. This he has continued to work on as he is a true believer of wanting for others what he would want for himself.
Channels Media Network is today, the only Nigerian Media company with a well-equipped clinic manned by professionals, recreational facilities for staff within the premises and of course being the son of a cook, he sure knows that a hungry staff must not be at work and so he runs a fine canteen where staff get meals FREE! Any wonder why his staff are always upbeat and excited about doing the job?
For his excellent leadership qualities, he is the current President of UNILAG Alumni Worldwide. He is the immediate past President of the Chevening Alumni Association of Nigeria (CAAN). He also serves as a member of the Governing Councils of the University of Lagos and Elizade University.
An Ambassador of the International Red Cross, he sits on the board of many non-governmental organisations including:
* PeaceTech Lab (United States institute of Peace, Washington DC).
* Constituency for Africa, Washington DC.
* Special Olympics Nigeria.
* University of Lagos Advancement Board.
* Elizade University
* Sickle Cell Foundation.
* Tristate Heart Foundation.
For the excellent works he has done in Nigeria’s broadcasting, journalism and broadcast journalism, Mr. Momoh has honourary degrees from four universities.
* “Doctor of Letters” by Afe Babalola University Ekiti, Ekiti State.
* ‘Doctor of Business Administration’ by Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.
* ‘Doctor of Science’ by Crescent University Abeokuta, Ogun State.
* “Doctor of Philosophy” by University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
Through Mr. Momoh’s reputable international recognition, and the support of his relentless team, Channels TV has partners in the United Nations, Voice of America, Deutsche Welle and the BBC, which allows it to provide its viewers with prompt access to information around the world.
Also on his long list of great achievements are his recognitions and awards as;
* Officer of the Order of Nigeria
* National Productivity Order of Merit from the Federal Government of Nigeria
* African Achievers’ Award
* Planet Africa Award for Entrepreneurship
Although Mr. Momoh’s life has not come without its challenges and struggles, he has always been ahead and above.
At 63, we celebrate a leader, a winner, broadcast mogul and a man who has not left the kitchen in almost forty years as he keeps leading the charge, from the front and is always making a piquant sauce.
Happy birthday John Momoh from all of us here at Aledeh News