People Never Forget The Big Words That Beget Big Performances

By Rilwan Adetayo Balogun

Jose Mourinho will be remembered more for the things he said than the things he did when he retires.
.

As much as we mostly agree that actions are louder than words, actions without words ensure names don’t live beyond certain generations.
.

In words spoken after conscious and conscientious actions come the longevity of a name, far beyond a lifetime.
.

Mastering the mind of the people is an art, and it’s an art woven in the gift of gab. With a touch of controversial touché, speakers masterfully render listeners wondrous of their unpopular conviction, through points that are usually not in the open, naturally not agreeable to, but very correct in the analytical sense of it.
.

Some names in football and life will be remembered more for the things they said.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s name will be remembered with a wry smile, or a convincing laughter, laced with memories of a man known best for his outbursts, then his mercurial skills. Big statements must come with big performances, or vice versa.
.

On scoring his 500th career goal, Ibrahimovic said, ”I’m happy for Toronto because they’ll be my 500th victim.” Such was his encapsulation of LA Galaxy fans that he chose to thank them boisterously, and gleefully throw them a thin-veiled dig the next second.

”I came, I saw, I conquered. Thank you LA Galaxy for making me feel alive again.

”To the Galaxy fans, you wanted Zlatan, I gave you Zlatan.” Like it was a conversational statement, he added, ”You are welcome. The story continues… Now go back to watch baseball,” he said.

An extremely high self esteem, the rare gift of capturing the hearts and heads of the people is what make names tick forever.
.

The power of words can’t be undervalued and dismissed. There’s no black movement in the world that operates without the consciousness of Martin Luther King’s ”I have a dream” renting apartments in their heads. It wasn’t for a generation, but even for those unborn.
.

”Football is 99% inspiration, and 1% perspiration” is a statement Pele will be remembered for. Millenials, and many coming generations will not remember him for the quicksilver he was.
.

The best way to make a mark on generations is through words, especially in this art of sights and wonders.
.

Neymar, after a shocking 4-0 loss to PSG at the Parc des Princes in Paris said buoyantly and courageously – ”if there is 1% chance, there is 99% faith.” Barcelona won the reverse fixture at the Nou Camp 6-0, thanks to Neymar’s heroics on the night. Big words before big moments.
.

Psychic morale lifters may go a longer way in motivating a group than a psychologic attempt to enhance performances. It may be one reason Jose Mourinho had a more successful career than Arsene Wenger.
.

Klopp once charged his misfiring Liverpool team to ”go out there and play football that their coming generations unborn will be proud of them for”. That sounds more brute, bold and brave for buoyancy than telling a man, ”you can do this, you are the best in what you do.”
.

At Mourinho’s early Press Conferences as Tottenham manager, he has renergised the Spurs fanbase and has reenacted his presence as the truly ‘Special One’. From saying he doesn’t know what it feels like to lose in a final to lightly taunting the club by saying ”history only remembers winners.”
.

Tottenham is a hugely gifted team, but Mourinho’s words, more than Pochettino’s conscious efforts and actions may bring greater attention to the club. Words are underrated, they are superior and inferior. How they come, and what they do matter a lot.
.

More locally, Burna Boy has painted the whole world black. He is burning wild and breaking grounds. His Afrobeats sound touches generations, and everyone is looking to know who the young man is.
.

Remember when the musician sent rants to organisers of the Coachella for writing his name in small fonts. He said he won’t accept such because he is an ”African Giant”.
.

Maybe he had a title for his album before, but it was a perfect moment to steal the show. A big performance must follow those big words. His status as an ”African Giant” was underlined after his nomination at the Grammy’s. He said it, and we all remember those words.
.

Let’s go ‘Risky’. Davido was live on a show in the US, and his freestyle was tagged ‘wack’. Displeased, yet motivated, Davido said, ”what you all laughed at, you’ll dance to”. It was a bullishly risky statement, but he knew the energy he had given to his ‘Risky’ song. The song has been a hit. A huge performance after big words.

Words remove kolanuts from pockets, a Yoruba adage says, and God created the world, with words, as religions have taught. Let the words be spoken. And make them count with big actions. Be a big speaker, and a big actor.

 

Opinion contained in this article is strictly the writer’s and not Aledeh’s. 

For information on Press Releases, Photos, Promotional Events and Adverts, Please Call or Send a Text to [highlight color="yellow"]08092220500[/highlight], [highlight color="yellow"]08098600038[/highlight] or send an email to: [email protected]
Loading...

Related Articles

Close