Turkish Forces Launch Military Operation In Northern Syria

The Turkish forces have launched military operations in Northern Syria just days after US President, Donald Trump, announced American troops would withdraw from the area.

Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who announced the launch via his Twitter handle on Wednesday, said that the mission is to prevent “creation of a terror corridor” and “bring peace to the area”.

“The Turkish Armed Forces, together with the Syrian National Army, just launched #OperationPeaceSpring against PKK/YPG and Daesh terrorists in northern Syria. Our mission is to prevent the creation of a terror corridor across our southern border, and to bring peace to the area,” Erdoğan tweeted.

“#OperationPeaceSpring will neutralize terror threats against Turkey and lead to the establishment of a safe zone, facilitating the return of Syrian refugees to their homes.

“We will preserve Syria’s territorial integrity and liberate local communities from terrorists,” he added.

Border town of Tell Abaid in Northern Syria (Photo Credit: Sky News)

According to the Associated Press, Turkish forces already crossed the border near the Syrian town of Tal Abyad earlier in the day.

A spokesman for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Mustafa Bali, which Turkey considers an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), said shortly after the announcement that Turkish warplanes had already begun attacking the region, creating a “huge panic among people of the region”.

Trump’s decision to pull back US troops from Syria reportedly left the SDF, a US-backed force which did the bulk of the ground fighting against ISIS in Syria, vulnerable to attack.

The US President defended his decision on Wednesday via his Twitter handle, saying the US “should never have been in Middle East”.

“The United States has spent EIGHT TRILLION DOLLARS fighting and policing in the Middle East. Thousands of our Great Soldiers have died or been badly wounded. Millions of people have died on the other side.

“GOING INTO THE MIDDLE EAST IS THE WORST DECISION EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY!” Trump tweeted.

“We went to war under a false & now disproven premise, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. There were NONE! Now we are slowly & carefully bringing our great soldiers & military home. Our focus is on the BIG PICTURE! THE USA IS GREATER THAN EVER BEFORE!”

The US President said Turkey must take over captured ISIS fighters that “Europe refused to have returned”.

“The stupid endless wars, for us, are ending!”

For information on Press Releases, Photos, Promotional Events and Adverts, Please Call or Send a Text to 08092220500, 08098600038 or send an email to: info@aledeh.com
Loading...

Related Articles

Close